Hier finden Sie Infos zu den Themen Beratung, Visum, Einreisebestimmungen, Aufenthaltstitel und Einbürgerung in Frankfurt RheinMain.

Visa & Entry Requirements

Before coming to FrankfurtRheinMain (FRM) from abroad, you need to clarify whether you need a visa to enter the country, and if so, which type. This depends on the country you are coming from, as well as your qualifications or profession. The same regulations apply all over Germany.

European Union and EEA Countries

As a European Union (EU) citizen, you do not need a visa to enter Germany. The right to freedom of movement allows EU citizens to come to work and live here. Under certain conditions you may be able to stay for a longer period of time, even if you are still looking for work. The same applies to citizens of Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway - countries in the European Economic Area – (EEA) and Switzerland.

Other Countries

Citizens of other countries, so-called third country nationals, generally need a visa to enter Germany. You should apply for this in person at the German diplomatic mission in your country of origin. Please contact your local consulate or embassy for more details on the documents required. The standard time for processing German visa applications for short stays is around ten days. For longer stays in Germany, it will take several months. The visa fee is around 80 euros, with some exceptions.

Due to special agreements, residents of the following countries do not need a visa: Australia, Israel, Japan, Canada, Republic of Korea, New Zealand and the U.S.A. In practice, this means that citizens of these countries may travel to Germany and stay for up to 90 days without a visa. However, if  they plan to stay longer, they must apply for a residence permit within the 90 days.

In addition, there are a few more exceptions to the rule, allowing entry without a visa. However, these do not include the right to work. You will find  a list of visa requirements for all countries on the Auswärtiges Amt (Foreign Office) website. This is updated regularly.

There you will also find more details as well as visa application forms. The EU Immigration Portal from the European Commission and the Federal Office for Migration and Refugees (BAMF) both provide information in various languages on their websites.