Hier finden Sie eine Auswahl an internationalen Studiengängen, sämtliche Voraussetzungen und weitere wichtge Hinweise.

Admission Requirements

Would you like to study at a university in the FrankfurtRheinMain (FRM) region? More than 200,000 students from all over the world already benefit from the excellent teaching standards and wide range of educational opportunities in higher education in FRM.

Qualification for University Entrance

To enrol in a degree programme in higher education in FRM, you need a Hochschulzugangsberechtigung (qualification for university entrance). This is a school-leaving certificate that qualifies you to study for a degree. In Germany this would be the Abitur, the Allgemeine Hochschulreife, the senior school-leaving certificate, or at the very least the Fachabitur, the Fachhochschulreife, which allows you to study at a technical college and some universities.

If you have a school-leaving certificate from abroad, you will have to check whether it is recognised for entry to university in Germany. You can check your certificate with a few clicks on the Deutscher Akademischer Austauschdienst – DAAD (German Academic Exchange Service) website, or you can find more details on uni-assist e.V..


Some degree courses such as art or music do not require a qualification for entry. Instead, you have to take an entrance exam or prove that you have the required skills, e.g. by submitting a portfolio.

In Hessen, in particular, it has become easier in the past few years to study without the traditional qualification for university entrance. In many cases you can also enter higher education after successfully completing a vocational training programme. If you have completed a Meistertitel, i.e. advanced vocational training in a manual or technical field, you can apply for admission directly.

Language Proficiency

A prerequisite for studying in Germany is a good knowledge of the German language, with the exception of international degree courses, which are normally taught in English. In general, universities require proof of German language skills. There are various options for this:

  • The Deutsche Sprachprüfung für den Hochschulzugang ausländischer Studienbewerber – DSH (German-language examination for university entrance) takes place around three weeks before the beginning of the semester at the higher education institution to which you have applied. Details are available on your institution’s website.
  • More information on the Test Deutsch als Fremdsprache - TestDaF (Test of German as a Foreign Language), can be found here or at your higher education institution.
  • The test telc Deutsch C1 Hochschule is also recognized as proof of university-level proficiency. More information is available here.

Besides German, English is becoming increasingly important at German colleges and universities. Most degree courses also require a good knowledge of English. You can find out more by consulting the admission requirements for the course you have chosen.

Check it out! Studying in the FrankfurtRheinMain region will give you the best start for a successful career in FRM.