Hier finden Sie hilfreiche Infos zu den Themen Gesudheit, Versicherung, Recht, Sicherheit, Finanzen und Konten.

Find it in FRM: Doctors and Public Authorities

FrankfurtRheinMain (FRM) offers everything you need on a day to day basis, and everything is within easy reach. This is important, especially when it comes to your health. Here, we have a summary of the most important contacts in FRM for you - for emergencies, if you fall ill, need medicine or are looking for a specific public authority.

Finding a Doctor

Ärzte und Behörden in Frankfurt RheinMain | Find it in FRM

In contrast to many other countries, you do not go to hospital for outpatient care in Germany. Instead, you go to your GP (Hausarzt) for all general medical issues or for children, your paediatrician (Kinderarzt). The GP is the first point of contact for all patients and they decide on the best course of treatment for you and will refer you to the relevant specialist (e.g. an orthopaedic doctor) or, if necessary, a hospital.

You will find GPs all over the FrankfurtRheinMain region. Each patient is free to choose their own doctor. You can consult the yellow pages or the internet to find a GP near you. You can also use the search function on the Stiftung Gesundheit (The Public Health Foundation) website. Alternatively, you can ask your health insurance provider for a recommendation.

Once you have found a GP, simply call their surgery and make an appointment. If you need a specialist, the National Association of Statutory Health Insurance Physicians (KBV) can give you an appointment. However, you will need a referral from your GP.

If you fall very sick outside of surgery hours and cannot wait until they open again, you should call the emergency medical service (Ärztlicher Notdienst). You will reach the GP on duty by calling 116 117.

In case of an emergency, you should call an ambulance (emergency number:112) or go directly to the hospital for treatment.

Visits to the doctor and hospital are paid for by your health insurance, and if you have state health insurance, the doctor will settle the payment directly with the insurance provider. Therefore, you do not have to pay for any treatment in advance. However, you may have to pay for prescriptions, medicine and some additional services.


To get medication, you need to go to a pharmacy. They are easily recognised with the large, red “A” signs. You can find your nearest pharmacy on the internet.

If you need any medication on prescription, your doctor will write one for you. Give the prescription to your pharmacist and you will receive your medication. Some medication is available over the counter. This includes medication that is not so strong and you might need now and again, such as painkillers. The cost of medication on prescription is mainly covered by your health insurance, but you often have to pay a surcharge. Over-the-counter medication has to be paid out of your own pocket.

Important Numbers for Emergencies

Ambulance: 112
In case of severe, life-threatening illness or severe injuries

Fire brigade: 112
In case of accident or fire

Always call 112 first in case of an accident or any other emergency situation! The fire brigade or emergency service will then inform the police automatically.

Police: 110
In case of robbery, burglary, assault or other crime

Emergency medical service: 116 117
In case of severe illness

Service Centre for Public Authorities - dial 115

There are many public authorities in Germany. Who is responsible for what? How do I reach the right one? Luckily, this is not as complicated as you think. If you dial 115 from anywhere in Germany, they will answer all of your questions.

Trained employees answer the phone directly and you do not have to wait in a long queue or deal with an automated answering service. If they cannot answer your question immediately, they will get back to you by telephone or email within 24 hours. Besides answering general questions about the public authorities, they have a lot of information for parents, e.g. on applying for child benefit. This service is available throughout the FrankfurtRheinMain region.