Facebook icon Google icon Twitter icon download footer-youtube earth icon-email icon-phone marker druck-icon last-track-left-arrow
Hier finden Sie sämtliche Weiterbildungsangebote und weitere praktische Hinweise.

Practical information

Planning

Do you wish to enrol in a programme or is your employer offering you in-house training? In either case, thorough planning is your key to success. Ask yourself the following questions:

  • What is my goal? Where am I going?
  • What do I need? Do I want to expand my knowledge or specifically improve my career prospects?
  • Which teaching methods are suitable for me and my plans?
  • How much time do I have?
  • Who can help me plan?
  • How will I fund my training?
  • Which training providers are available?

To find answers to these questions, you can consult information centres. Private consultants who can help you plan your career are also available. These consultants do not offer any training measures themselves, however, and you will have to pay them privately.

Funding

The expenses involved in professional development or further education measures can seem intimidating at first. In many cases, your employer will cover or subsidise these costs. There are also certain governmental funding options which you might be eligible for.

The Federal Employment Agency (Bundesagentur für Arbeit) will support you if it considers your further education a necessity. Please consult this leaflet “Funding for professional development programmes” for an overview of the available options.

There are many more options for employees and, especially, people looking for work. We recommend a personal consultation.

  • A training credit is available to employees and self-employed persons whose annual income does not exceed EUR 20,000 (EUR 40,000 for married couples). They receive a grant worth 50% of the fee of their professional development programme (up to EUR 500).
  • Advanced further training assistance (Meister-BAFöG) is available to people of any age. It aims to facilitate career progression. The government provides financial support of up to EUR 10,000. 30% of this sum are given as a grant. The applicant pays back the remaining 70% at no interest. Your professional development programme must provide for at least 400 hours of training. The advanced further training assistance programme is organised by the local BAFöG authorities.
  • Upgrading scholarships are available to people who have achieved excellent results in their vocational training (1.9 or better in the German grading system) and want to study towards a degree and have two years work experience. For full-time degrees, the available funding amounts to EUR 670 per month plus EUR 80 for books. Upgrading scholarships are grants: you do not need to pay them back. The upgrading scholarships are awarded by the Vocational Training Programme for the Highly Talented (Stiftung Begabtenförderung berufliche Bildung).
  • Training fellowships are available to people under the age of 25 who have stood out through special achievements at work or during their vocational training. They can be used to fund different educational measures from practical training courses to language classes. The government covers up to EUR 6,000 as a grant that does not need to be paid back. You have to contribute 10% of the total cost of your training measure. The upgrading scholarships are also awarded by the Vocational Training Programme for the Highly Talented (Stiftung Begabtenförderung berufliche Bildung).

The “Hessen Qualification Check” (Qualifizierungsscheck Hessen) is unique to the FRM region. It is available to employees in Hessen who work for companies with fewer than 250 employees and who have no recognised qualification in their profession or are over the age of 45. They receive up to EUR 500 in support and contribute 50% of the total cost of their training measure themselves.

Professional development measures that are not state-funded are considered development in your own interest. While you have to cover the cost yourself, you can reclaim part of the taxes included in this sum.

The government does not fund general further education measures.


Important

You can only receive funding if you obtain all necessary information and submit your application before you start your professional development measure. Subsequent funding is not available.


Share this article: